YBICSE, or Young Buddhist International Cultural Study Exchange, is a Hongwanji-sponsored educational trip to Japan for young people in 9th grade through age 25.
Participants visit Jodo Shinshu historical sites including the Hongwanji (mother temple) in Kyoto and experience fellowship with new friends from the U.S. mainland, Canada, South America, and Japan. The trip includes a homestay program, learning about and experiencing Japanese culture, sharing the joy of living in the Nembutsu Teachings, and many other life-changing experiences.
The program seeks applicants who:
- appreciate Jodo Shinshu Buddhism
- are currently in 9th grade through age 25
- are in good health
Date: July 10-22, 2017
Chaperone: Rev. Tomo Hojo
# of Delegates: 15 will be selected
Registration Fee: $1600
- Rest of the travel expense will be covered by Hongwanji
- Some meals and other personal expenses are not included
- Inter-island airfare within Hawaii is not included
Application Deadline: April 30, 2017
Application and Itinerary
An application and itinerary, including information about the selection process, is available as a PDF document.